Sunday, 21 April 2013

Peugeot 308 SW



I don’t think Peugeot’s private UK sales have picked up because I was presented with another Peugeot this week! The numbers on the tailgate reveal it to be a 308 but without looking I’d be hard pressed to tell it apart from a 207. For those unsure it is a bit bigger than 207 and the rear lights are a different shape. Otherwise, they’re pretty similar.

Rear lights denote a 308

Inside is equally similar to a 207 but the materials felt to be of a higher quality. I particularly liked the tri-air vents. Unlike previous Peugeots I’ve had this one was equipped with an automatic gearbox. Hoping to find a similarly relaxing, if uninspiring, drive to the Galaxy I set off with high hopes.

As with most modern cars the actual practice of driving the car is very nondescript. Everything works as it should and nothing is particularly exciting, challenging or interesting to operate. The principal problem I have is remembering how different manufacturers have set up their windscreen wipers and steering wheel controls. For a while I thought I hadn’t figured out the 308’s wiper controls correctly as I couldn’t get the screen wash to work. Having pull, pushed, twisted and prodded the stalk in every conceivable way I came to the conclusion that the screen wash must be empty. Not what you want on a day when the roads are all wet and dirty. Anyway, I stopped and bought some screen wash and found my way into the small bonnet – I for one wouldn’t want to do much work on these cars. Having found the screen wash filler I saw it was already full to the brim. I assume the fault therefore lay within the washer system. I didn’t investigate further and made do with having to stop several times to manually clean the windscreen - something which went out of fashion over 50 years ago!

Result of non-functioning screen wash

My route home was directly through Snowdonia. I haven’t been here before but I’ve heard many a good thing about the driving on offer in Wales’ premier national park. I’ve also said previously that Peugeots do handle well despite the numb steering. So in theory, I was in for a good time. Furthermore, the automatic gearbox provided me with two pretty F1 style paddles behind the leather rimmed wheel. This should be interesting! Unfortunately, the idea that the paddles give you complete control of the gearbox is misleading. They will only do what you ask them to if the ECU agrees. If I wanted the ECU to decide what gear to use I would leave it in auto! Getting increasingly fed up with being over-ridden I slipped it back in to auto and activated the Sport mode. This is by far the best setting for this gearbox. Gears are held for longer to maximise the power on offer and to maximise engine braking where required.

An engine in hiding
Despite being an eco model the HDi engine that the 308 is equipped with pulls well and gains speed at an unnerving rate. It is no slouch! Unfortunately, to boost its eco credentials further, Peugeot have fitted some eco tyres. Perhaps they do have a lower rolling resistance and therefore a positive effect on fuel consumption, I don’t know; but I do know that they are awful offering close to no grip in all situations. They were by far the worst tyres I’ve experienced in recent times. It could be argued that the combination of a potent engine and rubbish tyres is exciting but it’s not the sort of driving thrills I desire.

However, with the box in sport and due consideration given to the non-existent road handling of the tyres I reached by destination buoyed by my experiences. The looks are ungainly. The parcel shelf is rubbish. The interior looks old. But it was quick and easy to drive and according to the Peugeot website it is also a 7 seater. As a family car its really not a bad combination. But please, anyone that does buy one, fit some proper tyres! 

No comments:

Post a Comment