Friday, 31 January 2014

Hyundia i30 CRDi Auto

Another first for me this week; this time my first chance to spend time with a Hyundai. Like everyone I have watched their rise with interest as the cars on offer have gradually improved to the point that they are now considered credible alternatives to conventional European offerings. Their rise was boosted somewhat by the heinous Scrappage Scheme in 2009 but I try not to hold that against them.
So what have I got to play with today? Well it’s a Hyundai i30 Active 1.6 CRDi 110ps Diesel Automatic to give you the full title. On the road for a mere £19,575 including the optional metallic paint. The list of standard equipment is extensive though with rear parking sensors, cruise control, voice activated  Bluetooth connectivity, steering wheel controls, 15" wheels and electric windows all round. That is a lot of kit. Remember also that Hyundai offer a 5 year unlimited warranty. This makes the i30 an appealing package on paper; but what’s it like to drive?

From the front
Firstly, you have to be able to live with the styling. The design doesn’t lack direction; indeed it is very easy to see what they were hoping to achieve. Unfortunately they got carried away trying to convey their intentions and the finished product is far from pretty particularly at the slack, fish faced front. Exaggerated swage lines confuse the front and rear from the side too.

Focusing on the detail was better than looking at the whole car
Inside is a similar story where the cheaper materials used becomes abruptly apparent. I can appreciate the credentials of the dash design but in practice it is unsightly. It does score highly on practicality though with plenty of cubby holes and storage bins. The stereo display was a good size with a crisp display but operation required dedication thanks to the myriad of buttons and dials. Once sorted though it was fantastic. The sound quality was amazing for a car of this class; so much so that I completed my journey with music playing much louder than normal just so I could appreciate the wattage on offer.

Busy cabin
If you think there are too many buttons on the dash, wait until you take hold of the steering wheel. I’ve never seen anything like it. Cruise, trip, phone and stereo all get their own set of buttons - I counted thirteen! Rarely do you have to take your hand off the wheel though. I liked it. The leather rim of the wheel was a disappointment in comparison as the leather is more plastic and rubber than cowhide. Nevertheless the seats offered immense support and were let down only by the central armrest which can’t be adjusted in the fore and aft direction.
On the go the Hyundai is also a competent partner. The automatic gearbox lacked the seamless changes of a DSG but it wasn’t far behind. Acceleration isn’t back breaking but more than sufficient and I found it to be one of those cars that will gather speed without you noticing. The brakes are more than up to the job of hauling her up as well. Where the i30 really falls down though is when you approach corners. Safe and predictable understeer is the order of the day with a complete lack of fizz from all of the driving experience. More of a super tanker than a jet ski. There is a button to change the steering feedback but I can’t say I noticed any difference between Comfort and Sport and besides which, altering the weight of the steering doesn’t gloss over the fact this isn’t a well sorted chassis. Another button hidden down below the steering wheel turned off the Eco mode and unlocked some more horses but again, didn’t transform the car into fire breathing, adrenalin racing hot hatch.

Nicely detailed lights
I am perhaps being highly critical. It is unrealistic to expect all cars to offer high levels of feedback and put driver enjoyment first (or even in the top ten). Only the Fiesta really manages to do that. What really knocks the Hyundai down is the complete lack of character or charm.
I can say though that I fully understand the appeal of the Hyundai. Extended warranties, extensive equipment lists and reasonable performance combine to make a compelling prospect for those not looking for driver thrills.


No comments:

Post a Comment